Last Updated on: 11th January 2024, 09:31 pm
Austin is making a name for itself amongst retirees! Forbes Magazine ranked Austin in the top 25 places for retirees in 2022, praising it for its top outdoor attractions, vibrant arts scene, and warm and pleasant weather. You can hire courteous and professional senior movers in Austin and start an upscale and safe retirement today.
Another reason why Austin is so popular amongst retirees is that there are many retirement communities in Austin. However, the sheer number of Austin Texas retirement communities can make it hard to find the best community for you.
The easiest way to find the right retirement community in Austin TX is to learn about 55+ communities and examine a few options. Here’s your guide to Austin retirement communities.
What Is a 55+ Community?
55 plus communities in Austin TX are reserved for households with at least one person who is 55 years or older. You can bring your spouse or partner if they’re younger than 55, but some communities do not allow children. Austin 55+ communities are sometimes called “retirement communities” or “active adult communities.” However, you can keep your job even if you’re living in Austin retirement communities.
Independent, assisted, and nursing home communities are for people who have health needs or struggle to care for themselves. If you’re pursuing an active lifestyle, want independence, and can care for yourself, you should look at Austin 55+ communities or retirement communities in Austin Texas.
Benefits of Living in Austin Retirement Communities
Many people confuse Austin Texas retirement communities with nursing homes and assume they are boring or stifling. In reality, you can have a vibrant, safe, and comfortable life in 55 plus communities in Austin TX. Benefits of living in these communities include:
- Low-maintenance or no-maintenance housing, with free landscaping and maintenance services
- On-site restaurants, salons, fitness centers, and additional services
- A curated social calendar with movie screenings, wine tastings, holiday parties, and other special events
- Convenient location close to Austin attractions, restaurants, and public services
- Walkable streets, hiking trails, and manicured grounds
- Safety and security; some over 55 communities in Austin Texas are gated communities, while others have private security teams and emergency maintenance crews
Each Austin retirement community is different, with its own amenities and perks. In order to find the best and most upscale retirement community in Austin Texas, you need to look at a few options and compare them together.
Regency at Santa Rita Ranch | Master-Planned 55+ Community in Austin With 15 Options for Homes
Santa Rita Ranch is a planned community in Liberty Hill, a small city in the Greater Austin area. The community is one of the best gated communities in Austin and one of the safest Austin TX retirement communities. Regency at Santa Rita Ranch is the 55+ community within Santa Rita Ranch. All Regency residents have access to the amenities and perks of life in Santa Rita Ranch, but the community is age-restricted for active adults 55 and older.
Toll Brothers Homes is the primary home builder in Regency at Santa Rita Ranch, and they are building a clubhouse exclusively for Regency residents. The Toll Brothers Regency at Santa Rita Ranch clubhouse will contain a resort-style pool, pickleball courts, and bocce courts. For now, Regency residents can use the other luxurious amenities in Santa Rita Ranch, including a communal clubhouse, five well-maintained parks, and a memorial park for first responders and veterans.
You can pick from 15 different home designs ranging from 1,599 to 3,568 square feet, giving you more choices than other over 55 communities in Austin. All homes have luxurious features such as three-car garages, fully furnished kitchens, and open floor plans. If you’re not sure what house to get, you can view model homes on the Regency grounds and go on 3D tours of each home plan.
- Address: 500 Sweetgrass Court, Liberty Hill, TX, 78642
- Phone: 737-279-4830
- Amenities: Amenity center, barbeque grills, basketball courts, covered pavilion, dog park, fishing lakes, fitness center, food truck lot, nature trails, patio with hill views, resort-style leisure and lap pool, sand volleyball court, snack bar
- Housing: Two, three, and four-bedroom homes for sale
- Pricing: Two-bedroom homes start at $376,995; three-bedroom homes start at $459,995; four-bedroom homes start at $636,995; HOA fee is $272 a month
Overture Arboretum | Best Austin Retirement Community for Shoppers
Overture Arboretum is an age-restricted community in Austin TX for people aged 60 and above, making it one of the best Austin TX retirement communities for seniors who want to network. Overture is located in The Arboretum, a neighborhood of Austin well known for its shopping malls. You can walk to several different hubs for shopping, including The Arboretum, a two-story outdoor mall with 11 restaurants and stores like Chico’s and Soma. You can also go grocery shopping at Whole Foods Market and buy various items at Costco and Target.
You can choose from five floor plans for one-bedroom units and seven floor plans for two-bedroom units. All Overture Arboretum floor plans have spacious living/dining rooms, outdoor patios, and at least one walk-in closet. While living in Overture Austin, you can enjoy free cooking demonstrations, movie screenings, and covered garage parking. You can also order personal training and offsite trips at affordable prices.
- Address: 10600 Jollyville Road, Austin, TX, 78759
- Phone: 512-645-1299
- Amenities: Art studio, billiards and game room, clubroom, coffee bar and bistro, demonstration kitchen, private dining room, dog park, outdoor grilling area, sun deck, swimming pool, private theater
- Housing: One and two-bedroom apartment homes for rent
- Pricing: One-bedroom apartments start at $1,679 a month; two-bedroom units start at $2,458 a month
Solea Cedar Park | Affluent Austin 55+ Retirement Community With Upscale and Open-Concept Homes
Solea Cedar Park is in Cedar Park, an Austin suburb best known for the HEB Center at Cedar Park, one of the largest live entertainment venues in the Austin area. To qualify for Solea, your household income must be at least 2.5 times higher than the monthly rent. Your household must have one person older than 55, and their partner or roommate must be older than 35.
Solea Apartments Cedar Park is well known for its active event calendar with fitness classes, movie nights, social events, and other special activities. All on-site events at Solea are free, and only a few off-site events that require outdoor transportation cost extra. Solea also has a country-club-style clubhouse with two stories of space that you can use 24/7.
Apartments in Cedar Park have open-concept designs with small but upscale features. You can have oversized vanities in your bathroom, built-in shelves in your living room and study, and vinyl planks in your floors.
- Address: 1520 Juliette Way, Cedar Park, TX, 78613
- Phone: 737-214-4282
- Amenities: Cardio and strength center, coffee bar, community center, computer room, courtyards, hobby room, grilling stations, library, pool with sundeck
- Housing: One and two-bedroom apartments in Cedar Park for rent
- Pricing: One-bedroom apartments start at $1,550 a month; two-bedroom units start at $2,100 a month
Heritage Oaks | Most Walkable and Green Austin 55+ Community
Heritage Oaks is in Georgetown TX, roughly 27 miles north of Austin. Georgetown is a hub for retirees and seniors; 28.8% of the population is 65 years of age or older, over twice the state and metro area averages. Many seniors move to Georgetown to enjoy the beautiful weather, peaceful streets, and accessible public spaces. Georgetown has won several awards for its town square, public safety, and reliable and affordable utilities.
The community contains over 400 Heritage Oaks Georgetown TX homes for sale, giving you plenty of neighbors to meet and network with. You can pick from 15 different floor plans at Heritage Oaks Georgetown, many of which have special features like mahogany entry doors. A part-time activities director plans various events for community members, including poker tournaments and arts and crafts fairs. Heritage Oaks Georgetown TX is one of the most walkable over 55 communities in Austin Texas, with several walking trails you can enjoy throughout the day. Heritage Oaks Georgetown TX is within walking distance of various parks, including Creekside Park, which is a kid-friendly green space with a playground.
- Address: 4611 Verde Vista, Georgetown, TX, 78633
- Phone: N/A
- Amenities: Grand Ballroom, barbeque area, catering kitchen, clubhouse, hobby and billiards room, library, wrap-around porch, walking and biking trails
- Housing: Two-bedroom and three-bedroom Heritage Oaks Georgetown TX homes for sale
- Pricing: Median sales price is $517,000; median price per square foot of $235
Mariposa at River Bend | Garden-Style, Furnished, and Low Maintenance Senior Apartments
Mariposa at River Bend is a garden-style gated apartment complex. Each apartment home at River Bend has access to well-manicured green spaces with trees, flowers, and smooth walking paths. You can choose to live in a cottage style home with an outdoor patio and connected kitchen, dining, and living areas. All Mariposa apartment homes have fully furnished kitchens and nine-foot ceilings, giving you the space and equipment you need for an independent and comfortable life.
You can visit a three-story clubhouse with numerous amenities, including a cafe, a movie theater, and club meeting spaces. Mariposa Apartment Homes has services you cannot find in other Austin retirement communities, like beauty salon services. Mariposa offers some affordable housing options for people with a low income, so contact the community if you think you’ll have trouble paying rent. All Mariposa apartments are pet-friendly, and your cat or dog can enjoy free treats and an on-site pet park.
- Address: 121 River Bend Drive, Georgetown, TX, 78628
- Phone: 512-942-2270
- Amenities: Beauty salon, boules court, card and billiards room, community garden, community room, computer lounge, fitness studio, library, outdoor pavilion, picnic areas with grills, swimming pool, theater
- Housing: One and two-bedroom apartments for rent
- Pricing: One-bedroom units start at $1,334 a month; two-bedroom units start at $1,603 a month
Sun City Texas | Most Famous and Largest Retirement Community in Austin TX
Sun City Texas is perhaps the most famous Austin retirement community. Sun City Texas by Del Webb covers 4,750 acres in Georgetown and contains over 10,000 homes, making it one of the largest 55 and over communities in Austin Texas. Residents have access to three golf courses, five activity centers with pools and dance studios, and 14 miles of hiking trails spread throughout the community.
Sun City Texas has over 50 official clubs and interest groups. You can participate in woodworking, photography, stained glass making, and other activities that are not in other retirement communities in Austin TX. You can also join over 150 different fitness classes and enjoy using top exercise equipment in four fitness centers. Personal trainers are available for solo classes and individual personal training, unlike other 55 and over communities in Austin TX that assign trainers for groups. The Sun City Texas Community Association can arrange flights and vacations for you and take family portraits in your Sun City Texas home.
Sun City Texas real estate is diverse; the community contains over 70 neighborhoods, including seven neighborhoods with free landscaping. You have plenty of options for Sun City homes for sale and Sun City homes for rent. You can purchase homes for sale in Sun City Texas with various architectural styles and features, including private pools.
- Address: 2 Texas Drive, Georgetown, TX, 78633
- Phone: 512-948-7700
- Amenities: Arts and craft center, billiards center, eight bocce courts, disc golf course with nine holes, dog park, three fishing ponds, four fitness centers, three golf courses, hiking trails, ten horseshoe and washer courts, library, 26 pickleball courts, two shuffleboard courts, softball field, six swimming pools, six table tennis tables, 12 tennis courts, woodworking shop
- Housing: Two, three, and four-bedroom homes for sale and for rent
- Pricing: Median sales price is $403,000, with a median price per square foot of $226
Kissing Tree | Most Unique Homes for Sale in Retirement Communities in Austin Texas
Kissing Tree is in San Marcos, one of the fastest-growing cities in Texas and one of the most affordable suburbs near Austin. Kissing Tree San Marcos has some of the most unique homes for sale in Austin 55 and over communities. You can buy traditional homes with covered patios and oversized walk-in closets. But if you’re interested in low-maintenance housing, you can buy a cottage or a villa with an open-concept floorplan that makes it easy to clean your home. Many cottages in Kissing Tree San Marcos have sunset and landscape views, making them some of the most beautiful homes in Austin TX 55 and over communities.
Kissing Tree has a packed social calendar with over 100 programs and activities each month, more than most other over 55 communities in Austin TX. Unique amenities in Kissing Tree San Marcos include an activity classroom with free courses throughout the week. You can compete in various competitions, including pickleball tournaments, poker games, and golf outings. The on-site Kissing Tree golf complex with an 18-hole golf course, a driving range, and a chipping range.
- Address: 201 Kissing Tree Lane, San Marcos, TX, 78666
- Phone: 512-379-5856
- Amenities: Activity classroom, beer garden and bar, bocce courts, community center, disc golf court, fitness center, golf complex, hiking and biking trails, pickleball court, on-site restaurant, shuffleboard courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, pool tables, outdoor stage
- Housing: Two and three-bedroom homes, condos, and townhomes for sale
- Pricing: Two-bedroom homes start at $451,500; three-bedroom homes start at $634,500
Map of Retirement Communities in Austin TX
You can use this map to find the best retirement communities in Austin, as well as nearby attractions, restaurants, and golf courses.
55+ communities in Austin TX are perfect communities for older people looking for an active and independent lifestyle! Over 55 communities in Austin TX offer fun social calendars, spacious and contemporary homes for sale or apartments, and convenient access to top attractions. You’ll love living in any retirement community in Austin Texas, including Sun City Texas.
But before you buy a house in a 55+ community, you need to hire the best Austin movers. Unicorn Moving is an award-winning and professional company with nearly 30 years of experience. Get a free moving estimate by calling 512-339-9922.